Wi-Fi boosters are designed to increase the signal in an environment. Walls, partitions, and large spaces will weaken a signal making it unreliable at some points. Modern boosters also serve as extenders and connect to an internal router via an Ethernet cable or Wirelessly. It acts as a secondary point of connectivity and increases the strength and speed by eliminating the dead/weak internet spots.
The device works with any Wi-Fi enabled device including computers, speakers, printers, fax, mobile devices, smartphone and much more. However, the strength of the signal and reliability of the devices influenced by several factors. In these top 10 Best Wi-Fi boosters in 2018 review, we shed more light on the top picks. However, how about looking at the most critical aspects?
- Making the Right Choice
- 10. Orbi Home Wifi Range Extender
- 9. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Extender
- 8. NETGEAR N600 (WN2500RP) Desktop WiFi Extender
- 7. TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Extender
- 6. TP Link AV500 Wi-Fi Extender
- 5. TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi Booster
- 4. NETGEAR N300 (WN3000RP) Wi-Fi Extender
- 3. TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi Booster
- 2. Securifi Almond Touchscreen Wi-Fi Booster
- 1. NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Booster (EX2700)
Making the Right Choice
- Strength: A good booster will not only increase the range but also stretches the signal. Rather than just going for a basic extender, it’s more beneficial to invest in a device that Extends and boosts the signal at the same time.
- Range: it should increase the coverage to the desired distance. For instance, if the distance between the dead spot and the router is 200 feet, the booster and extender should cover a minimum of 200 feet.
- Antennas: Although basic, the number and type of signal will influence signal strength and range. Most come with two antennas, one for receiving and other for transmitting. Studies have however shown that three antennas are more effective.
- Speed /MBPS: data transmission speed is defined in Mbps and the higher the number the faster it is. The speed will, however, decline due to interference, wrong router or modem and it advisable to go for higher speeds to compensate for the losses.
- Band/Frequency: 2.4 and 5.0 GHz are the common frequencies. 2.4GHz offer better range than 5.0 GHz but are more susceptible to interference.
Other important aspects include Ethernet Ports, Brand Reputation, Warranty, and Price.
Best Wi-Fi Boosters in 2018
10. Orbi Home Wifi Range Extender
This Orbi System by NETGEAR will improve the signal stretch and covers a range of up to 4,000 square feet. It delivers amazingly fast speeds (3 Gigabit) and features Tri-Band Mesh that guarantees you of strong.
The easy setup unit comes preconfigured and will work with any access point (AP) or router, and for better management and seamless operation, it comes with Multi-User Multiple Input Multiple Output (MU-MIMO).
9. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Extender
Extending Wifi coverage and boosting signal strength can easily be archived with the Nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi Extender. Designed for a variety of devices including MacBook, iPad, iPhone, laptops, notebooks, desktops and many more, this system can reach speeds of up to 1900Mbps.
Its powerful 700 mW amplifiers, dual-core 1GHz processor, and high-gain 5dBi antennas work together for maximum performance while the 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports allow connectivity to several devices.
8. NETGEAR N600 (WN2500RP) Desktop WiFi Extender
This Wall-plug extender not only extends but also boosts the internet signal strength. Its 600Mbps dual band works with desktop, tablets, laptops, notebooks, printers, game consoles, smartphone, smart TV, Blu-ray player, tablets and much more.
It features 4 Ethernet ports, relies on Fast Lane Technology for super high-speed connectivity and works with any standard gateway/AP or router.
7. TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Extender
Operating on two bands, 2.4 & 5.0 GHz, the TP-Link AC1200 will work with any wireless access point or router. It expands the signal to 300 Mbps (2.4 GHz) and 867Mbps (5.0 GHz) while the RE355 Gigabit Ethernet port allows for wireless connections.
The built-in intelligent light feature helps s to identify the perfect location for placement. It comes with three adjustable external antennas and is compatible with- Microsoft Windows (98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista), Windows (7, 8, and 10), Mac, Linux, NetWare, and UNIX.
6. TP Link AV500 Wi-Fi Extender
The TP-Link AV500 extender uses Powerline Technology to boost the Wi-Fi signal and coverage. It’s wired to achieve speeds f up to 500Mbps when wired and 300Mbps in wireless form.
The unit comes with two Ethernet ports for connecting to PCs, mobile devices, game consoles, smart TVS and other devices while the Wi-Fi Clone Button allows for easy and quick setup anywhere.
5. TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi Booster
Designed to work with any standard access point or router, this Wi-Fi extender by TP-Link is guaranteed to improve the internet stretch and outreach on your home, office, workshop, factory and other locations.
It comes with external antennas for faster and reliable connections, supports AP mode and can connect in wired mode through the Fast Ethernet port. Pushing the Range Extender Button is as it takes to increase the wireless coverage.
4. NETGEAR N300 (WN3000RP) Wi-Fi Extender
This universal compatible extender will boost and expand Wi-Fi easily and conveniently. It relies on superior technology and high-powered external internal to receive, amplify and transmit the signal.
It’s ideal for devices such as computers, tablets, smart TVs, smartphone or any other Wi-Fi enabled device and also includes Fast Ethernet for connecting A/V devices. The built-in LED indicators to come handy when searching for the best location.
3. TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi Booster
Dead spots will come alive with the N300 Wi-Fi Extender by TP-Link. Despite its small, slim and compact design, this extender is among the most powerful in the market and is well-designed for many situations including the home and office.
The wall-mounted unit functions as a wireless adapter and features an Ethernet Port for connecting to wired devices. It is compatible with 802.11n/g/b products and features a Range Extender button for increasing Wi-Fi coverage.
2. Securifi Almond Touchscreen Wi-Fi Booster
It will take you less than 3 minutes to boost the signal strength in your network. The Securifi Almond Wi-Fi router comes with a Touchscreen wizard that guides you to selecting the best location and connecting to devices.
It is a multipurpose device and works with Access Point, WI-Fi Router or Wireless Bridge. The universal extender is also compatible with top brands including Linksys, Netgear, Belkin as well as PC, Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, Game Consoles and more.
1. NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Booster (EX2700)
Boost and expand WiFi coverage with the N300 Wi-Fi Extender by NETGEAR. Rated at 300Mbps and coming in a wall-plug design, this system is effective with desktops, iPhone, iPad, PlayStation 3 and more.
It works with gateway or routers and consists of external antennas while the Fat Ethernet ports are designed for use with wired devices. Setting up the system is pretty easy and doesn’t take too much time or require extensive knowledge.
Weak internet connectivity or dead spots will soon be a thing of the past once you acquire the right booster/extender. It uses superior technology to first improve the weak signal being emitted by the router or Access Point then increase its range.
Of the many products currently being offered in the market, the above 10 Wi-Fi boosters standout in terms of speed, range, band, strength and other features and will offer you not only reliability but peace-of-mind as well. Use these top 10 Best Wi-Fi boosters in 2018 review as a guide to improving the internet connectivity in your home or office.