Tennis is among the most popular sports in the world. The highly-energetic sport requires lots of stamina, endurance, resilience and also being fast on your feet. The shoes remain one of the biggest investments for any tennis player. They are supposed to put up with fast sprints, quick starts and stops, side-to-side stepping action, constant lateral movement and much more.
Choosing the wrong shoe not only affects your game but may also make you prone to injury. We looked at the market to uncover the best tennis shoes for men in 2018. To do this, we placed special emphasis on the following issues:
- Playing Style: The type of shoe won by a baseline player is a bit different from that won by a serve-n-volley player. You first need to know the kind of player you are before purchasing the footwear.
- Court Surface: Playing on concrete/hard court is different from playing on clay/soft court or multi-court. Hard court is more wearing to the sole, while a sole with better traction is needed on soft court.
- Foot Type: The right shoe depends on the shape of your foot. Underpronation, overpronation (supination) and neutral are the three-foot types and each is suited by a specific shoe.
- Durability: Tennis is a high-energy sport and is more hardwearing compared to athletics, football, and other sports. A good shoe will feature a sturdy upper and outsole to tolerate the side-to-side stepping, fast sprints, quick stops, and more.
Other important things include comfort, cushioning, arch support and cost.
Best Tennis Shoes For Men in 2018
- 10. K-Swiss Men’s Classic VN
- 9. Prince T22 Tennis Shoe
- 8. ASICS Men’s GEL-Resolution 6
- 7. K-Swiss Bigshot Lite 2.5
- 6. Skechers Sport Men’s Energy Downforce Lace-Up Sneaker
- 5. Adidas Performance Barricade Club
- 4. New Balance Men’s MX608V4 Training Shoe
- 3. New Balance MC806 Shoe
- 2. Adidas Performance Men’s Barricade Court 2
- 1. ASICS GEL-Solution Speed 2 Tennis Shoe
10. K-Swiss Men’s Classic VN
The K-Swiss brand is one of the most recognized shoe manufacturers and has engineered many top products that are won by both matures and pros. The Classic VN is one of their top products and is suited for men. It comes with a strong and comfortable leather upper while the outsole is made from hard-wearing rubber. The 2.7 inch arch contributes to its good fit while the D-ring laces harness it properly to the foot. For extra comfort and longevity, this shoe includes long-wear drag tip and comfortable c-cap midsole.
9. Prince T22 Tennis Shoe
The Prince brand is respected for producing high-quality tennis shoes for both men and women. The T22 variant is targeted at men looking for good stability, comfort, and support. It features breathable upper made out of synthetic material, mesh, and PRC1000 rubber outsole for maximum grip. The TPU shank offers reliable support whereas the PU sock liner ensures the foot is well-cushioned.
8. ASICS Men’s GEL-Resolution 6
This tennis shoe by ASICS has received lots of praise in regard to reliability, comfort, durability and looks. This is pegged on the stylish and comfortable synthetic upper, long-lasting AHAR plus rubber outsole, and Solyte shock absorbing midsole. It also features the signature GEL, Low Top shaft, PGuard toe bumper and extended Flexion Fit for extra stability.
7. K-Swiss Bigshot Lite 2.5
Despite being exceptionally light, the K-Swiss Bigshot Lite 2.5 is the most durable tennis shoes in the market. Designed for men, it comes with a non-marking synthetic sole that provides excellent traction. The high-performance shoe has a synthetic upper, comfortable removable insole and keeps the feet cool via the mesh tongue, perforated upper and Flow Cool system.
6. Skechers Sport Men’s Energy Downforce Lace-Up Sneaker
The Energy Downforce shoe by Skechers scores highly when it comes to comfort, cushioning, stability, traction, and support. It comes in strong and long-lasting leather upper, solid-grip lugged rubber outsole for good traction, and 1.5-inch heel.This elegant footwear also boasts of two-tone eyelets, tongue loop, and heel pull.
5. Adidas Performance Barricade Club
Good support and comfort is the first thing you notice when you wear the barricade Club tennis shoe by Adidas. It comes with a sturdy textile upper and plush cushioning that feels perfect for any wearer.
The superior rubber sole is praised for providing the right traction while still allowing for fast starts and stops. Its flexible nature and soft insole allow free movement of the foot and toes without any pinching.
4. New Balance Men’s MX608V4 Training Shoe
Boasting of high-quality leather upper and solid rubber sole, the MX608V4 by New Balance is ideal for beginners and seasoned players.Its 1.5-inch heel provides good balance even to players with plantar fasciitis, while the dual-density collar and Ethyl Vinyl Acetate(EVA) offer good support and cushioning. The midsole is crafted from supportive foam to give you the balance and stability you need the court.
3. New Balance MC806 Shoe
If stability and convenience are what you are after, then the MC806 tennis shoe by New Balance may be what you need. The shoe comes with leather and synthetic upper and seems perfect for users with wide feet and plantar fasciitis.Its fairly-larges perforated toe box is quite spacious and together with ABZORB cushioning and C-[CAP midsole ensure you are comfortable even under extreme activity.
2. Adidas Performance Men’s Barricade Court 2
The Barricade Court 2 by Adidas is best known for using revolutionary Boost Technology. This cushion technology releases back some energy you use during movement allowing you to perform better and also save energy.
Its leather upper is built to tolerate extreme pressure while the Adiprene rubber sole delivers the desired traction. The insole is made from molded foam and works together with ADIPRENE midsole cushioning to provide the best comfort.
1. ASICS GEL-Solution Speed 2 Tennis Shoe
Launched into the market some years back, the GEL-Solution 2 has continued to dominate tennis shoes. Players love it for being lightweight but durable, super fast and also quite comfortable. This is pegged on the wide toe box and lower arch that offer good support and stability even to people with wide feet and plantar fasciitis. It comes in a synthetic upper, cushioned Solyte midsole, forefoot GEL cushioning and two-layer foam collar liner.
Tennis is one of the exciting games whether played by amateurs or professionals. It’s known for its high intensity, quick sprints, frequent lateral moments, skidding along the soft surface, and side-to-side stepping. While this may look like fun, the shoe takes quite a beating.
In fact, it’s common for the sole to rip, the uppers to tear or the outsole to lose traction. In order to guide players on the top 10 best tennis shoes for men in 2018, we reviewed many types and brands and compiled the above list. The featured items are not only well-built, sturdy, and versatile, but are also comfortable, stable and offer good support. This will make playing tennis not only enjoyable but also minimizes injuries.