If you want a hobby that can be rewarding and if you have a little bit of creativity in you that you want to channelize into action, wood carving is a perfect hobby to adapt. You can create beautiful structures and figures by chipping, cutting, scraping woods. For all that, you need to have a complete wood carving tool set with all the different sizes and shapes of tools.
Along with that, you need to know how to use these different tools to get the desired shape. You can sell those structures, keep them at home for the beautification of rooms as showpieces and you can invest your free time in creating amazing designs. Go ahead and choose any of the following top 10 best wood carving tool set that is suitable for beginners as well as professionals sculptors, artists, and even carpenters.
Best Wood Carving Tools in 2019 List
- Best Wood Carving Tools in 2019 List
- #10 KOTVTM Wood Sculpture Carving Chisel Tool Set 6PCS
- #9 Wood Carving Tools, Kereda 12 PCS Wood Carving Knife Professional Wood Carving Set
- #8 Wood Carving Tools | Highly Durable SK7 Carbon Steel | 12 Sculpting Knives
- #7 SCHAAF Full Size Wood Carving Tools, Set of 12
- #6 BeaverCraft Wood Carving Hook Knife
- #5 SIMILK 12 Set SK7 Carbon Steel Wood Carving Tools
- #4 Gimars 12 Set SK5 Carbon Steel Wax & Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit
- #3 Power Grip Carving Tools, Seven Piece Set
- #2 Xacto X5175 Deluxe Woodcarving Set
- #1 SE 82331TF 30-Piece Set of Titanium-Coated Diamond Burrs, Grits 120-150
- Buyer’s Guide – Things To Keep In Mind
Last update on 2019-04-21 (UCT) / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
#10 KOTVTM Wood Sculpture Carving Chisel Tool Set 6PCS
When it comes to a professional set of wood carving tools, then you can go for the KOTV. It brings all the necessary tools that one needs to carve that wood or for sculpture purposes.
The material used is a combination of wood and steel where the wood goes for the handle and steel for the blade that is sharp enough to carve the wood easily and in the shape you want. The knife or blade comes with a length of 147 mm, and the handle goes with 80mm that makes it perfect to hold. In the package, you get six pieces of carving tools, and hence it can be the perfect choice for any carver.
#9 Wood Carving Tools, Kereda 12 PCS Wood Carving Knife Professional Wood Carving Set
No matter if you have just started carving that wood, this set of carving tools would be the ultimate choice. So professionals for hobbyists both can purchase this set from Kereda. The set comes with 12 pieces of carving tools with different shapes and sizes of blades. Due to their small and handy size, they suit perfectly to beginners. For safety proses, all of them come with caps so you can lock them after usage. Also, you get a storage case, so you don’t lose any of them, and the quality will undoubtedly serve you for a long time. Fabric helps you keep them clean.
#8 Wood Carving Tools | Highly Durable SK7 Carbon Steel | 12 Sculpting Knives
This one brings you a complete kit of wood carving tools that if you purchase it, you won’t feel any lack of tools. This one is a great toolkit for anyone whether your children are interested in carving or any professional carver. It comes with 12 different types of carving tools and hence you use them for various sculpturing. It is not just from wood, but you can carve anything like soap, rubber, pumpkin for Halloween or any surface that can be carved. The design supports an ergonomic construction, so it is very easy to handle even in those tiny hands that want to finish up their DIY project.
#7 SCHAAF Full Size Wood Carving Tools, Set of 12
By: Schaaf Tools
Here comes another set of carving tools, it is brought to you by SCHAAF. Here you get a total number of 12 tools on which sizes are already mentioned. These tools are made of quality material that includes alloy chromium vanadium steel for the knife and wood construction for the handling. All the knives are well angled, so you carve the surface convenient. For the handling and polishing these tools deserve to be here, and the included EBook will work as a blessing for you. Using the instructions, you will understand that how each one works and things you should take care of.
#6 BeaverCraft Wood Carving Hook Knife
This wood carving knife goes on with spoon, bowl, cup or similar objects made of wood. So if you face the need of carving these woody utensils ever, then you can go straight to this product and make your purchase. Here the material used for handling is oak wood and for the blade carbon steel is used. The total length is 6.3 inches, and for the accuracy, it is one of the best wood carving knives. The ergonomic design promotes easy handling, and the material ensures you the durability. All the cuts leave the wood smooth without having any sharp edges or scratches.
#5 SIMILK 12 Set SK7 Carbon Steel Wood Carving Tools
It is a highly recommended toolkit for wood carving where each tool is made of the quality material for both blade and handle. Each blade has its unique angular construction and the wood handle. The sharpness is just in the perfect amount, and there are other add-ons that come along too. You get 12 security covers or caps plus a box to keep them properly, leather finger guards, so you don’t cut yourself, and Whetstones too to sharpen the knives. The entire package is cost effective and durable and other than the wood you can x carve just any surface soft or hard and show your talent in sculpture.
#4 Gimars 12 Set SK5 Carbon Steel Wax & Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit
The fourth one is presented by Gimars that give you 12 pieces of carving tools in all shapes required for a carver. The construction is made of Carbon Steel Wax, and high quality of the wood is used for the handles. If you are a beginner, then go straight for this amazing kit that keeps you safe while carving yet provides the perfect sharpness. Additionally, it uses Electrolytic Coating that makes the package an ultimate choice whether you carve any furniture, woody utensils, pumpkin or any surface. For the type of knives, you get deep gouge, medium gouge, shallow gouge, four angled knives, parting tool, narrow straight chisel, wide straight chisel, rounded chisel, and pinpoint tool.
#3 Power Grip Carving Tools, Seven Piece Set
If you want to keep your kit minimalistic and only want the essential tools for carving, then you can go for this one from Power Grip. In the package you get seven different tools in which steel blades are used as the knife and fine quality of wood for the handles. All these seven knives contain different types of blades like a gouge, skew chisel, straight chisel, V-parting tool and a storage box too. For the size, these come as 3mm, 6mm, 7.5mm, 4.5mm, and 9mm. So if it seems like the perfect carving kit to you then make your purchase directly via that link.
#2 Xacto X5175 Deluxe Woodcarving Set
It deserves the place as it is a perfect toolkit for any professional. If you consider yourself as a woodworker who loves to cut down waste and create a unique structure, then this is the set for you. This wood carving toolkit includes several types of blades with some other add-ons that you need to install on the wood handles and get started. This one is highly recommended for the professionals as it contains only blades and an experienced level carver knows how to install them correctly.
#1 SE 82331TF 30-Piece Set of Titanium-Coated Diamond Burrs, Grits 120-150
It makes it place on the number one position because of being the ultimate quality of Titanium-coated diamond burrs. This is an advanced form of those carving tools. The kit is always used by the professionals who carve on various surfaces and not just wood using that burr machine and create different shapes as per requirement. You can use these burrs on the glass, plastic, wood, stone, fiberglass, gold, platinum, silver, any metals, or any hard surface. Even the hobbyists can make a purchase, but for the professionals like jewelers and carvers, it comes as a blessing.
Buyer’s Guide – Things To Keep In Mind
It is important to understand the types of wood carving tools available and their usage before buying one. This will help to understand whether the set has all of the required tools for designing the structures you have in mind.
Types Of Wood Carving Tools
- Carving Chisel: It is a flat carving tool and they are beveled on both sides. They have skewed edges for cutting and shaping tight wood corners.
- Carving Gouges: It is one of the most used tools for wood carving. There are various curvatures of the blades available. They come in convex and concave shapes. The higher the curvature, the better it is to cut channels. They are available in different number notation based on their curvature like number 2 is rather flat while number 9 is extremely curvy.
- Long Bent Gouges: While the above one is slightly bent lengthwise, this one is completely bent. It is designed for making deeper cuts and hollowing out wood in the middle parts.
- Spoon Bent Gouges: The difference between carving gouges and this one is that it is curved only need the edges like a spoon and the curvature is more than long bent and carving gouges. It can make the deepest carving and they are used in harder areas where others fail. They are also used for giving a finishing. Apart from these, there is fishtail gouge which is thinner than these.
- Carving Knives: It is definitely the most used carving tool of them all. These are used in making precise cutting and finishing like chip carving, letter carving and adding details to the overall structure. The beauty of a wooden carving lies in the proper and creative use of this tool.
Parameters To Check
- Number of Tools: Different sets have different number of tools. The more tools you have, the better carving you can do with details. But you should know the usage of all the tools to use them perfectly.
- Material: The blades are generally made of carbon steel though there are various other alloys used too for durability and strength. Make sure you check the quality of carbon steel as there are various grades available.
- Grip: It is the most overlooked take in a wood carving tool. The grip has to be designed ergonomically so that it does not put a stress on your fingers and palm. This will enable you to work for hours effortlessly.
If you have taken wood carving as a leisure activity, you need to have a complete set of wood carving tools so that you can create anything you want efficiently with different sizes and shapes of tools available. The listed tool sets for wood carving are suitable for beginners as well as for professionals. They are highly durable and comfortable to use in any type of woods.